Site Meter

Saturday, January 24, 2015

When Open Arms Have a Hidden Knife

From Full Marriage Equality:
A woman (whose interview is linked on this page), in responding to the conversation I published, had this to say about her experience in dealing with family members’ reactions to her spousal-style relationship with her genetic brother...
This is just from my experience. But our mum for over a year hinted she knew about me and my brother...At one point she got into a conversation with me about an article she'd read about GSA and that she totally understood it. We still denied it. Then, one day, she phoned my brother and asked outright. Said she would understand and support us. 
That was nearly two years ago. She hasn't spoken to us since.
She told other family members we were disgusting. Her loss. Didn't have her in my life for [decades] so no loss for me. But she brought my brother up and it’s him I feel for. Gotta say though, two of my sisters and a brother are totally cool with it. But as they say, they didn't know me until later in life so they see me more as an in-law. 
At the start of my GSA relationship I was so frustrated because I was so happy in love and felt like bursting and shouting from the roof tops “I'm in love!” Experience has taught me to keep quiet and deny. I even had a girl at work come straight out and ask. She said she'd totally understand. But I've seen what the truth can do. It would be nice to confide in her, but I just don't trust.

No comments:

Post a Comment